IGNORED

PCIe SOtM USB

I'm trying to build a new music server and almost all the new motherboards are PCIe 1x. Does anyone know if SOtM are making a PCIe version of their card? Has anyone found another card like the SOtM tX-USB Audiophile PCI to USB Audio Card? Or as another option, a galvanic isolated usb 2.0 connector that I can connect to the usb header of a motherboard(high speed, not full)?

Ed Fortune

one of the SOtM importers (Sonore or Aurality) wrote that there is a PCIe version in the works. No timetable was given.

Roon ROCK (Roon 1.7; NUC7i3) > Ayre QB-9 Twenty > Ayre AX-5 Twenty > Thiel CS2.4SE (crossovers rebuilt with Clarity CSA and Multicap RTX caps, Mills MRA-12 resistors; ERSE and Jantzen coils; Cardas binding posts and hookup wire); Cardas and OEM power cables, interconnects, and speaker cables

Oh well, I spent some time searching and this forum is an excellent user community. So I'm sure multiple people read my post and have not found anything like the SotM. I'll just search for a motherboard with the ancient PCI interface :-( Thank goodness they are still around.

Ed Fortune

I'm planning on using the SotM USB>AES with an Aquvox linear power supply and maybe add the PCI-E card later ...as overkill?

DIGITAL: Windows 7 x64 JRMC19 >Adnaco S3B fiber over USB (battery power)> Auralic Vega > Tortuga LDR custom LPSU > Zu Union Cubes + Deep Hemp Sub

ANALOG: PTP Audio Solid 9 > Audiomods Series V > Audio Technica Art-7 MC > Allnic H1201 > Tortuga LDR > Zu Union Cubes + Deep Hemp Sub

ACCESSORIES: PlatterSpeed, BlackCat cables, Antipodes Cables, Huffman Cables, Feickert Protracter, OMA Graphite mat, JRemote

Good news !

I'm mounting a new CAPS v2.0 (alternative).

I will wait a little bit before ordering a SoTM USB-Card

CAPS Alternative (HFX case, AMD E-450 based MoBo) -> Wavelink -> Icos Dactablette 2 -> Acoustic Masterpiece AM-201 (Rudistor RPX-33 headamp) -> ProAc Response D2 (Grado GS1000)

• 1 month later...

there is a limitation on galvanically isolating usb data lines. As such this approach is limited to low/full speed devices. Also, usb devices will generally convert usb data to i2s data and apply galvanic isolation at the i2s data lines. However, understand that galvanic isolation adds jitter so it's not always done by the dac designer.

Jesus R

Also, usb devices will generally convert usb data to i2s data and apply galvanic isolation at the i2s data lines.

I am afraid isolation at i2s level will not protect the actual clock from the noise. Which dacs provide i2s galvanic isolation?

it's not as simple as that because there are a few clocks to speak about....

This is the reason for the power treatments that Demian notes above at the SOtM tX-USB card. The clocks on the SOtM tX-USB card are fed from the treated power and used for adaptive devices.

Keep in mind that the designer of the USB device can choose not to power components on there boards from USB power. The new Weiss DAC202 with asynchronous USB input clocks the signal at it's internal card. This board is a USB to i2s interface and the board has galvanic isolation of the i2s signals and the option to use USB power or external power.

Another example is the SOtM dX-USB-HD converter that can be powered by USB power or external power (user selected). If you select USB power in combination with the SOtM tX-USB card then at least you get treated USB power. This device is USB to SPDIF RCA, SPDIF optical and AES/EBU output. The SPDIF optical output is obviously isolated. I'm not sure sure about the other outputs being galvanically isolated, but again some DACs have galvanic isolation of there digital inputs.

The Sonore Signature Series DAC does not have USB input and uses direct i2s input instead. The i2s input is isolated as well as the other digital inputs as a design requirement:)

Jesus R

these are the specs at the moment:

- USB 3.0 support x 1(compatible USB 2.0)

- PCI express x 1

- external IDE 4 pin power connector and power input jack for linear adaptor or battery pack

- working with windows, Linux

- improve power noise filter

- improve USB clock jitter performance

- USB port power current up to 1A

Jesus R

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I can see that the new Card has only one USB3 port. I hope it will be compatible with the Thesycon USB Audio driver.

I already tried to connect my Wavelink to a USB3 port on my motherboard and did not work properly.

CAPS Alternative (HFX case, AMD E-450 based MoBo) -> Wavelink -> Icos Dactablette 2 -> Acoustic Masterpiece AM-201 (Rudistor RPX-33 headamp) -> ProAc Response D2 (Grado GS1000)

Price????

Hackintosh I7 16GB Ram, Roon, HQPlayer, Drobo 8 TB NAS, Raspberry Pi 3 NAA, Gustard X20 ES 9018 Xmos, Audio GD C39 Preamp, The First ONE DIY Amp, Monitor Audio GS20 Speakers, Monitor Audio RSW12 Subwoofer, PI Audio MagikBuss filter.