IGNORED

Best DAC that has a balance control

I would appreciate suggestions for a digital-to-analog converter that has a balance control.

My system is quite simple. I have a digital source, two monaural amps and two speakers. To feed my digital source to each of my amps I am currently using the Benchmark DAC1. That sounds great, but to really get the proper sound stage I need a balance control and the Benchmark does not have one.

Suggestions are welcome.

Here is a link to my setup:

http://homepage.mac.com/hdomke/Audiophile_Mac/PhotoAlbum188.html

Thanks!

Henry

The Berkeley Audio Alpha DAC has a balance control.

See:

www.berkeleyaudiodesign.com/products.html

They just sent me a discussion of their internal clock. I have posted the reply on the Music Server forum under "clocks and the alpha DAC."

Hope this helps,

Mike

Drop the mac, it is too limited. I am currently running wirless via my laptop and router yet plan to connect a external HD to the laptop so no wireless playback.

Powerbook G4 15 inch Aluminum, \"Fidela,\" M2tech EVO (BNC)with RF attenuator,dedicated PSU, Stereovox XV Ultra (BNC) Audio Note Dac Kit 2.1 Level B Signature Upgraded to 12AU7 tubes, ARC SP-16L Tube preamp , VAC PA100/100 Tube Amp), Vintage Tubes, Furutech ETP-80, (Alon 2 Mk2, (upgraded tweeters, Usher Woofers), Pangea Power cords, Omega Micro Active Planar PC. Signal Cable Silver Resolution ICs.

Mike - thanks for pointing me to the Berkeley Audio Design Alpha DAC. In addition to the review on this site, I see that the January issue of The Absolute Sound has a rave review of it.

A related question:

Am I correct to be avoiding a preamp? There is no way it would enhance the sound, right? I do not need a preamp to juggle various sources.

Hi Henry - I don't use a preamp with my Alpha DAC and there are very few people who use a preamp with Alpha DACs. It's really up to each person, but I think you'll struggle to find a reason for a preamp with this DAC. Bypassing another filter (preamp) and a pair of interconnects is a good thing in my opinion.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

The $5,000 Berkeley Audio Alpha DAC is tempting but very expensive, especially if all I'm looking for is a balance control.

Is there a way to control balance in the software?

Currently I am using iTunes as the software to drive the system.

Thanks,

Henry

Could the calibration potentiometers  on the Benchmark DAC1 be used to adjust the balance? Obviously this would be to tweak the system once for the room and speaker placement.  

I found them on p. 7 of the owners manual. "They are accessible through the rear panel using a small screwdriver. The calibration potentiometers are 10-turn trimmers and are accessible through the rear panel using a small screwdriver. These trimmers provide a 2 dB per rotation adjustment"

Here is a link to the owner's manual: 

http://www.benchmarkmedia.com/manuals/DAC1_Manual_Rev_M.pdf

Thanks,

Henry