Jump to content
  • The Computer Audiophile
    The Computer Audiophile

    Apple HomePod Review - An Audiophile Perspective

    I had zero plans to purchase an Apple HomePod until I saw the initial reviews. 

     

     

    "...sound quality that rivals speakers nearly twice the price..." 

    - Gizmodo

     

    "...The star of the show, in my opinion, is a downward facing woofer..."

    - Gizmodo

     

    "4" high-excursion, upward-firing woofer"

    iFixit

     

     

    "...audiophiles test HomePod, say it sounds better than $1,000 speaker"

    Arstechnica

     

     

    "Amazing sound quality"

    Tech Radar

     

     


    I have no complaints with other writers' opinions, but after reading so much glowing press I just had to get one myself. Not that I was interested in listening through a HomePod, but I wanted to make up my own mind with actually hands on experience. In this review I focus on sound quality above all else. The HomePod offers Siri integration, but I'm very underwhelmed by it thus far. Plus, with a MacBook Pro, iMac, iPad Pro, and iPhone all sitting on my desk, Siri can get more than a little annoying. Hey Siri play The Beatles I said, my phone started playing The Beatles. Not bad if I was talking to my iPhone. Hey Siri I said one more time. My HomePod answered this time. Play The Beatles. Then I had two different Beatles tracks playing simultaneously. Anyway, I'm not a fan. Plus, Siri can only play lossy music right now. 

     

    The HomePod supports Apple's ecosystem. If you want anything else, sure you can make it work but I don't recommend it. I used AirPlay via Roon exclusively during this review because I needed to play lossless music. I hate AirPlay and its 2010 technology that requires all audio be streamed through a mobile device or computer. Hey Siri, talk directly to the cloud so I don't use all my iPhone's battery. 


    For this review I used my main HiFi system to give me a reference. Without a reference there's no way to gage anything. 

     

    Speakers: TAD Compact reference One CR1 $45,000 (frequency response 40Hz–20kHz, ±3dB)
    Amplifiers: Constellation Audio Inspiration Monoblocks $20,000 /pr
    DAC: dCS Rossini $24,000
    Cabling by Wire World and 512 Engineering ~$10,000


    Apple: HomePod $349 (frequency response 40Hz–20kHz, ±3dB)

     

    Klipsch: The Three $499 (frequency response 45Hz–20kHz, ±3dB)


    Executive Summary: Don't fool yourself into thinking this is an audiophile product. It's a me too voice control product that happens to play audio. 

     

     

    Details


    I put the HomePod through an extensive listening test of my favorite music and typical audiophile music. In the rare instance, both of these categories (favorite and audiophile) contain the same music, but that's like a total solar eclipse, it doesn't happen frequently. 

    Let's start with a song that leans much more toward the audiophile end of the continuum, but is a very nice song nonetheless. Randi Tytingvag's Red or Dead from her album Red is a track I use frequently when reviewing HiFi gear. Through my reference HiFi system Randi's vocal sounds very crisp and piercing at times. Jens Fossum's double bass lays a great foundation throughout the track. This bass sounds like it has the correct number of strings, four, because it indeed has four strings. Other very distinct instruments such as the rebab and Glockenspiel can be heard filling in throughout the track. All of the instruments including Randi's voice are a bit sterile because they seem to exist on their own, rather than as instruments played by a group of musicians in a room. I'd be very surprised if this album was recorded with all the musicians sitting in a room. That's neither here nor there for this review. The sterility of the track can help one evaluate some aspects of HiFi equipment because it's very easy to listen for a single instrument and compare it to one's reference. 

     

    The HomePod shouldn't come close to my reference system, and it doesn't. Let's not kid ourselves. Apple has more money than some countries and has hired very smart engineers, but it can't change the laws of physics. Starting with the impressive aspects of the HomePod playing Red or Dead, Randi's vocal is crisp and clear, but has a very slight soft edge. The very fine details for which audiophiles frequently listen aren't nearly as audible through the HomePod as they are through a true HiFi system. The HomePod has a very nice sound that will likely please most listeners without causing fatigue on tracks like Red or Dead. If I was unaware of the true sound of this track, I'd think the HomePod had done a pretty good job reproducing the vocal portion. 

     

    Moving on to the foundation of the track, the double bass. I've yet to see a HomePod measurement that corresponds with what I hear through this speaker, with respect to bass. The HomePod is a bass monster, for better or worse. On Red or Dead the double bass sounds like it has a single string and is being played in a small closet. Thumps and booms are pretty much what the HomePod is all about and it's very clear after a single listen to a track with very controlled bass. Jens Fossum is an accomplished Norwegian jazz bassist, who would likely cringe at hearing his playing sound like it does through the HomePod. If I was talking about electronic bass from a perennial favorite of mine, N.W.A.'s Straight Outta Compton, I may like the boom, but when listening to an acoustic bass crafted by a luthier with the finest of woods, I just can't take the over-exaggerated bottom end sound of the HomePod.


    An ear worm that I can't stop listening to is Dua Lipa's song New Rules. This song is fabulous through the HomePod. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if the HomePod was voiced with pop music. In other words, the HomePod was built for music like this. Dua's vocal just sizzles with heavy top end EQ. Equally jacked up is the bottom end. The bass on this track is deep with a great beat. What about the midrange? What midrange. This track sizzles and booms, and is a match made in heaven for the HomePod. Again, I love this track and I love the way it sounds on the HomePod. But, it's not a track made to reproduce an acoustic instrument in any type of accurate way. It's a track made to move the listener. Through the HomePod the track almost got me dancing. No wait, that's a lie. I did tap out the beat on my MacBook Pro however.


    Switching to Eddie Vedder's track Society from the Into The Wild soundtrack, I heard what could be the worst sound from the HomePod that I've yet experienced. I can handle exaggerated bass and highs that are a bit soft, but this track had a haze over the entire thing. Even worse, it sounded like Eddie's vocal was emanating from a box in front of me (or should I say Pod in front of me).  I've heard this track sound fabulous on many HiFi system over the years. In fact, I remember listening to it with an engineer who worked on Pearl Jam's tours through a Focal / Micromega system. He loved the sound as much as I did and though it was incredibly accurate. Sure that system was thousands of dollars more than the HomePod, but people are calling this Pod an audiophile product and saying it may get more listeners into HiFi once again. With this in mind, I have to at least set a bar for what high end sound is like. And, the HomePod was nowhere near any of the HiFi system on which I've heard this song. Closed-in with a jumbled mess of sounds and a haze over the top is how I'd describe this track through the HomePod. 


    How about a little Metallica? I love Metallica's ...And Justice for All album for both the music and the way it sounds. It's not a favorite of many Metallica fans, but I just love the sounds of Lars' Tama drum set. The track One features a nice soft-fish guitar intro. On the HomePod this guitar sounds really good and has good tone. I can see many music lovers really enjoying sounds like this. In fact, I wish the entire track sounded as good as this opening sounded through the Pod. I'm frustrated to say, the HomePod just falls apart at the 0:55 mark in the song. The drum sound that I love, that I've played for so many people on so many different systems including one a couple weeks ago in New York City, was totally wrong. It sounded like a huge band of upper bass frequencies was missing. I heard Lars' kick drum, but not all of it. It's as if there was a filter on the upper end of the drum set and an exaggeration on the very bottom end. A really large exaggeration. Heck, it sounded like the Boston Acoustics / Alpine system in my car, with a trunk full of subwoofers, amplifiers, and extra capacitors. I like bass as much as anyone, but the sound of the HomePod is too strange for me. It seems to be reproducing the very bottom end without the midrange frequencies that are required to make the bottom end sound anything close to real. Perhaps, realism isn't what Apple was shooting for with the HomePod. I don't judge. Apple's customers may prefer the sound of this speaker. I wouldn't be surprised if Apple's focus groups preferred this sound over a flat frequency response. 

     

    Let's talk about frequency response for a second. So far the HomePod has been measured and shown to have a pretty flat frequency response. Given that this speaker has adaptive Digital Signal Processing (DSP) based on the music being played and based on its location in the room, I'm not sure if those measurements are really indicative of real world performance. In fact, there's really no way to measure the HomePod if its DSP changes based on the music, volume, and room acoustics. The volume and room can certainly be controlled, but the music not so much. I'm more than willing to admit error here as speaker measurements are out of my wheelhouse, but something just isn't adding up. Flat measurements with completely un-flat sound. 

     

    Speculation alert: Having just watched the Netflix series named Dirty Money. I can't help but think of the episode that documented Volkswagen's cheating with respect to measuring of its Diesel engines. VW created software that sensed when the car was placed on a dyno and adapted the car's performance to pass the emissions tests as long as the steering wheel wasn't moved (a sign the car wasn't on the road). Call me crazy, but it seems like Apple has designed the HomePod to appeal to many listeners who like exaggerated bass when playing music and also designed it to recognize the input signal of a traditional speaker measuring test, then adjust its output accordingly. That way, Apple has the best of both worlds. A wonderful linear measuring speaker that also sounds wonderful for those who don't like linearity. 

     

    I switched back to music to write a little bit more about the HomePod sound for this review, but really don't have anything new to report. I put on Natalie Merchant's Tigerlily album, playing the track San Andreas Fault. Good vocals, to a certain extent, but also a little veiled with haze and boxiness. Then the boom. It's like a broken record with the HomePod. Sure, I'm likely being a bit tough on this speaker, but I'm human and it's hard to ignore all the hysteria calling this thing the second coming of the audiophile and the last speaker anyone will ever own. 

     

    Maybe a little value can be gleaned from discussing how the HomePod compares to a similar speaker, The Three from Klipsch ($499 45Hz ~20kHz @ -3dB). Setting aside the functionality of the speakers (Klipsch has far better functionality for those who want to listen to music, HomePod has Siri), and focussing on sound quality, I prefer The Three from Klipsch. It has a much more balanced sound than the HomePod. Eddie Vedder's Society was very enjoyable through The Three as opposed to the HomePod. I A/B'd them for twenty minutes to make sure I heard what I thought I heard. I honestly expected the HomePod to put the Klipsch unit to shame, but that wasn't the case. In my comparisons The Three from Klipsch was the 1980 US olympic hockey team that beat the Russian HomePod in the miracle on ice. OK, that's a bit far fetched, but given it's olympic time in South Korea, that was on my mind. Listening to several other tracks, I couldn't help but think the HomePod was better suited to be The Three's subwoofer if such a configuration existed. 

     

    After listening to the HomePod and comparing it to a reference system and a similar speaker, I realized the HomePod isn't about sound quality. It's about Apple trying to catch up to the voice control market dominated by Amazon. Because Apple needs to catch up and it doesn't have a store like Amazon from which to use voice control in a helpful fashion, the company needed a compelling reason for people to purchase the HomePod. Given that Siri is already in everyone's iPhone and computer, why purchase a HomePod that can only accomplish very limited tasks for the foreseeable future? Much like MQA, Apple has pushed the HomePod as a very high quality sounding device and no doubt talked to the influencers about how good the device sounds. Without sound quality, the HomePod has no purpose. 

     

    "The Apple HomePod Sounds Good, but Other Smart Speakers Sound Better"

    "In CR audio testing, Google Home Max and Sonos One come out ahead"

    - Consumer Reports


    Perhaps some normalcy has now been added to the hysteria. I agree with Consumer Reports. I really wanted to like the HomePod and I wanted to to sound fantastic. The truth is, the HomePod is good and I'd recommend it to people who have to have Apple products. If people want a voice assistant, get a voice assistant. If people want a loudspeaker, get a loudspeaker. Splitting the duties provides much more flexibility to purchase the best of both worlds. Google and Amazon offer far better products for voice. With respect to sound quality, there are many other products I'd recommend over the HomePod, starting with The Three from Klipsch. 

     

     

     

    Here comes a shocker (not), my HomePod is now up for sale on Superhonica (LINK).

     

     

    Screen Shot 2018-02-13 at 4.29.07 PM.png

     

     

     

     


     




    User Feedback

    Recommended Comments



    Quote

    Switching to Eddie Vedder's track Society from the Into The Wild soundtrack, I heard what could be the worst sound from the HomePod that I've yet experienced. 

     

    Ouch.  

     

    And, how could they ruin that song?

     

    Thanks for doing this review. Sounds like you saved us all some agony and expense.  I was trying to figure out if I could use it as a voice remote control, but why bother?

     

    I think Apple gives you 14 days right of return for a full refund, FWIW.

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    14 minutes ago, DuckToller said:

    Chris,

    that was fun to read .... RESPECT !

    I am quite uncomfortable with voice assistant products since ... here in France even France Telecom does not accept me paying my bills for the landline over their voice system, due to my accent ;-) ... but far more because these products seem to me so much Orwellian.
     

    Selling them on the audiophile bill might dazzle the I-crowds, that were waiting on such a product and on the other hand "justify" the price tag.


    Thank you, Tom

     

    Orwellian is a very good description!

     

    Apples 1984 Super Bowl Macintosh commercial has turned 360, Apple is now Big Brother

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    So I got excited about HomePod because of this review...

     

    i think the challenge though is that with the Fletcher-Munson curve, it’s an average and not everyone loves it. My dealer tried to setup my subwoofer with his RTA based on that principle and I found it to have too much bass. So I ended up getting my own RTA to re-integrate my subwoofers. Devialet Expert obviously has a similar feature but they let users tune the bass. Perhaps Apple would do the same? 

    I still think it’s super cool that Apple DSP their speaker to optimize its performance. And for the price...

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Snap!  On reading the headline, with its implication that the HomePod deserved an Audiophile's review, I was a bit concerned that you had lost your mind.  I'm glad you're OK (and I love the for sale post--haha)

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Very interesting to hear someone we respect review the device.  I have disagreed with all of the reviews I have seen to date.  I cannot fathom what Apple is trying to do with the speaker system as far as their direction.  I have read a couple of articles that try to articulate that but nothing rings true.  Apple appears to be creating a “house sound” that may be similar to the Beats brand?  I am not sure, but that will influence everything.  Sort of like what is happening to the B&W D3 speakers that have gotten so forward and harsh.  

     

    Now I actually bought three HomePod devices to replace the Amazon Echo devices that were around my home.  Part of that is for a bit better sound quality, part is due to information security or my perceptions that Apple is doing a better job here and has different motivations that Amazon.  

     

    I do not find the speaker to be so unpleasant that I would sell it at a loss after two or three days.  (Apple does have 14 day return policy).   I am 5 days into my “trial” and I am still intrigued.  The HomePod is not a “performace listening” system.  It does some really interesting/weird/fun/crazy things with sound and from that aspect I find it fascinating.  This is sort of like DIRAC or other room correction system boxed up in one place and gone wild!.  Apple has chosen a sound signature just like B&W to match their market segment and direction.

     

    For background music “playing in the other room” it is interesting.  For quite wind down listening in the evening it is also “ok” I would call the sound signature for this kind of listening THROATY.  It is not about placement of instruments or accuracy it is the simplicity of having music accessible when I want it.  

     

    The voice response system is actually well executed, it really hears me well.  Now the domains that are supported are lacking vs some of the competition in that space.   That limitation is somewhat problematic for many.  We are very early days on this. 

     

    If I had to fish or cut bait today I would take the HomePods back.  They are too expensive and do not deliver as well as I would like them to on several fronts.  The real question is will I put the Amazon Echos back in place.  I thought that I could live with some of the voice control limits that Apple has vs some of the complexity that Amazon has.

     

    Today is not decision day.  That day should be this Friday.....  We will see.

     

    —RJF

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    19 hours ago, sdolezalek said:

    Somehow I don't think Steve Jobs would be in favor of the direction so many of these products are taking us in.  The original Apple platform was designed as a way to unlock our creativity and provide us greater means to express ourselves, whether in writing or artistically.  Even Job's careful choice of fonts was about artistic discretion and careful choice.

     

    Most of what we now face, and not just from Apple, is a series of products that make us better couch potatoes.  Ideally we would just sit there focused on a screen, headphones or EIMs on, a gamestick in our hand, a voice controlled box at our side, a drone to deliver things (and a big wallet to pay for all that stuff and what we order with it) and an ever declining level of physical and intellectual engagement, discernment, creativity, individuality, active participation, mental challenge, etc. (as all that stuff gets in the way of simple consumption -- don't question, just keep buying).  

     

    Which consumer products companies are today challenging us to be more?  Speaking to our true individuality?  Allowing for not just differences in taste but expectations of higher quality, better fidelity, more intense engagement? 

     

     

    Steve Jobs made plenty of mistakes large and small as well as many brilliant things.  Nobody knows what he would do.

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    3 minutes ago, DarwinOSX said:

    You pretty much said in the beginning you planned to slam the HomePod before you had one or heard it.

    Incredibly obvious and I wonder why because it sounds very much like you have an axe to grind.  I've never seen any of your other articles like this.

    Comparing it to your reference system speaks for itself.

    Consumer Reports has little credibility any more especially on Apple stuff.  They are looking for the same thing as many publications these days which is controversy leading to hits and page views.

    The Google Max is terrible and nowhere near a HomePod.  Poor detail, boomy bass, not a hint of an attempt at stereo separation. This can be found in many reviews before anyone even heard a HomePod.  Not to mention no way am I having a Google microphone at home.

    My HomePod replaced two stereo paired Sonos Ones.  Alexa is garbage on those and they sound OK until you turn the volume past 30 or 40 percent then they fall apart.

    My main speakers are Kef LS50W and I welcome moving on from the traditional audiophile setups.  I think a lot of audiophiles are enraged by the HomePod because they don't feel special anymore knowing all the arcana.  Or because it's from Apple.  Or because it's new.  Get off my lawn is pretty prevalent in this hobby.  

    I'm looking forward to two HomePods in a stereo pair and that capability is imminent.  They are bedroom speakers to me.  I did have two Vanatoo 1's with an Apple TV connected by optical for airplay, then two Sonos One's.  There was a detail drop off going from the Vanatoo's to the Sonos but I was trying to minimize.  The Songs One's were sold on CL the day after I got the HomePod.

    My HomePod opinion right now is they have great clear detail, the bass is a little boomier than I would like, and Siri is working well with HomeKit for lights etc.  Better than Alexa in fact as it's faster and more reliable.  The HomePod microphones are incredibly sensitive to commands as many people have noted.  You can be playing at max volume and barely whisper Hey Siri and it hears you.

    The HomePod and Siri are going to improve by a lot as they add features.  There will be some announcements at WWDC this year that reflect this.

    I pay for Tidal, Pandora, and Apple Music.  I dumped Spotify awhile ago.   I never liked it's interface or all the junk tribute band content.  Apple Music interface was completely overhauled and is much better now plus I can use it with my years of iTunes music from various sources in one interface.

    I've been using Roon and grouping the Kefs and HomePod and also directly from the Tidal and Pandora apps using airplay.  Once you have it playing then you can control Tidal, Pandora or whatever with voice.  It's not the end of the world to open the app and tap the Airplay icon.

     

    Airplay 2 docs are here;

    https://developer.apple.com/videos/play/wwdc2017/509/

    I would summarize Airplay 2 this way;

    1.  Software only so no longer requires a chip which is why so many devices only need a software update.

    2.  Streams faster than real time to minimize lag.

    3.  Much larger cache than Airplay 1to minimize lag.

    4.  Can pull directly from the cloud similar to Spotify Connect.

     

    I'm a big airplay fan and have used it for years in a 5200 sq foot two story house with many different devices at once using Airfoil.  Never had an issue but then I have a well optimized wifi network.

     

    Thanks for the honest comments, but I'm not sure where you got the idea that I planned to slam it before I had heard one. Especially because I said, "I really wanted to like the HomePod and I wanted to to sound fantastic." I had no intention of buying one because the last thing I need to purchase is another all-in-one loudspeaker. If you could see my house you'd understand. 

     

    I use an iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iMac 5K, and MacBook Pro. I have no axe to grind with Apple. I love its products. 

     

    Without comparing the sound from a reference system, how can one expect to gage what the HomePod sounds like? Without this, it would be like measuring one's height starting a few inches off the ground or a few feet off the ground. There has to be a reference with which comparisons can be made. 

     

    I was a fan of AirPlay when it first came out as AirTunes, but the technology is so far behind now that I can't take it. It makes zero sense. Using Roon with a HomePod via AirPlay is problematic because of volume control issues. There isn't a two-way sync between the Pod and Roon. 

     

    I'm looking at the AirPlay 2 specs now. 

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    4 hours ago, DarwinOSX said:

    Consumer Reports has little credibility any more especially on Apple stuff.  They are looking for the same thing as many publications these days which is controversy leading to hits and page views.

     

     

    That is absolute  and utter nonsense. They are a non-commercial organization whose only source of income is subscriptions and selling access to their content, most of which is behind a paywall. They have nothing to gain from hits and page views.

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    4 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

    Thanks for the honest comments, but I'm not sure where you got the idea that I planned to slam it before I had heard one. Especially because I said, "I really wanted to like the HomePod and I wanted to to sound fantastic." I had no intention of buying one because the last thing I need to purchase is another all-in-one loudspeaker. If you could see my house you'd understand. 

     

    I use an iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iMac 5K, and MacBook Pro. I have no axe to grind with Apple. I love its products. 

     

    Without comparing the sound from a reference system, how can one expect to gage what the HomePod sounds like? Without this, it would be like measuring one's height starting a few inches off the ground or a few feet off the ground. There has to be a reference with which comparisons can be made. 

     

    I was a fan of AirPlay when it first came out as AirTunes, but the technology is so far behind now that I can't take it. It makes zero sense. Using Roon with a HomePod via AirPlay is problematic because of volume control issues. There isn't a two-way sync between the Pod and Roon. 

     

    I'm looking at the AirPlay 2 specs now. 

     

    Here's the problem.  Your executive summary was "Don't fool yourself into thinking this is an audiophile product. "

     

    Apple isn't marketing this as an "audiophile" product.  They are marketing it as a high quality home speaker.  And then you listed the "reference" speakers you would compare it to...the TAD Compact reference One CR1 which a pair cost more than all of the equipment in my three different music rooms put together.  Not exactly a fair fight or an appropriate comparison.  A better tactic would have been just to compare it to the Klipsch The Three which makes more sense for this audience and is a product most major publications aren't comparing it to.

     

    And then there's the really big problem...you speculated that Apple might be cheating by changing it's output if it detected the user playing known test tones.  It's not that your hypothesis is impossible.  It's that it's a very damaging charge by a reviewer to level without any evidence.

     

    And it's not in Apple's nature for a few reasons.  First, Apple is the biggest target in business for lawsuits by class action trial lawyers.  There are literally dozens of these firms waiting for a smidge of a chance to sue Apple for a piece of that $250 billion war chest of theirs.  Need evidence?  Remember the recent iPhone battery issue?  In that case, Apple was trying to prevent users' older iPhones from inexplicably dying prematurely when internal voltages got too high.  So they determined that slowing the CPUs in those old phones would solve the problem.  Everything good, right?

     

    Well they slipped in the feature without telling anyone and Apple is the only company who has people who regularly speed test old hardware.  And it was noticed and then the trial lawyers pounced, accusing Apple of intentionally obsoleting people's phones which is the last thing they wanted to do....and never mind the fact that every new iPhone has about 4 years of software upgrades in its lifespan, way more than the industry.

     

    But the whole fiasco is costing Apple millions to make it go away.  Or what about AntennaGate years ago?  What was a design flaw ended up costing Apple a lot of money and damaged reputation as the issue ended up in national news broadcasts.

     

    But there was an incident where cheating did occur on phone performance, except the perpetrators were a number of major Android manufacturers that disabled their phone battery management features if they detected that known speed tests were running.  And those same trial lawyers made them pay.  The company that wasn't doing this?  Apple.

     

    Finally, Apple does has experience delivering high quality sound to their products over several years.  Remember the iPod Hifi?  Steve Jobs himself introduced that over a decade ago to do better than the boomboxes of the day or more expensive Bose systems.  And there have been other examples over the years.  Again, they aren't looking to be an audiophile product, but a product with higher quality than the competition.  Did they succeed here from a sound standpoint?  The jury is out but most reviewers say yes.

     

    Anyway, it's ok to say that you like one product over another.  After all, audio performance is very subjective which is why there is no "best product" for anything.  But I have a real problem of you accusing Apple of cheating without hard proof, and using the "speculation" word isn't enough to protect yourself.

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    20 minutes ago, Sevenfeet said:

     

    Here's the problem.  Your executive summary was "Don't fool yourself into thinking this is an audiophile product. "

     

    Apple isn't marketing this as an "audiophile" product.  They are marketing it as a high quality home speaker.  And then you listed the "reference" speakers you would compare it to...the TAD Compact reference One CR1 which a pair cost more than all of the equipment in my three different music rooms put together.  Not exactly a fair fight or an appropriate comparison.  A better tactic would have been just to compare it to the Klipsch The Three which makes more sense for this audience and is a product most major publications aren't comparing it to.

     

    And then there's the really big problem...you speculated that Apple might be cheating by changing it's output if it detected the user playing known test tones.  It's not that your hypothesis is impossible.  It's that it's a very damaging charge by a reviewer to level without any evidence.

     

    And it's not in Apple's nature for a few reasons.  First, Apple is the biggest target in business for lawsuits by class action trial lawyers.  There are literally dozens of these firms waiting for a smidge of a chance to sue Apple for a piece of that $250 billion war chest of theirs.  Need evidence?  Remember the recent iPhone battery issue?  In that case, Apple was trying to prevent users' older iPhones from inexplicably dying prematurely when internal voltages got too high.  So they determined that slowing the CPUs in those old phones would solve the problem.  Everything good, right?

     

    Well they slipped in the feature without telling anyone and Apple is the only company who has people who regularly speed test old hardware.  And it was noticed and then the trial lawyers pounced, accusing Apple of intentionally obsoleting people's phones which is the last thing they wanted to do....and never mind the fact that every new iPhone has about 4 years of software upgrades in its lifespan, way more than the industry.

     

    But the whole fiasco is costing Apple millions to make it go away.  Or what about AntennaGate years ago?  What was a design flaw ended up costing Apple a lot of money and damaged reputation as the issue ended up in national news broadcasts.

     

    But there was an incident where cheating did occur on phone performance, except the perpetrators were a number of major Android manufacturers that disabled their phone battery management features if they detected that known speed tests were running.  And those same trial lawyers made them pay.  The company that wasn't doing this?  Apple.

     

    Anyway, it's ok to say that you like one product over another.  After all, audio performance is very subjective which is why there is no "best product" for anything.  But I have a real problem of you accusing Apple of cheating without hard proof, and using the "speculation" word isn't enough to protect yourself.

    Thanks for the comments. 

     

    Why is my executive summary a problem, given that so much of the press had called the HomePod an audiophile product? I received many emails asking if this was true in my opinion and asking if I had one for review. 

     

    Question: Without a reference, how does one rate sound quality? How can I determine what the HomePod sounds like if I don't have a reference? I can't. Anyone who claims they can, is kidding themselves. It's impossible to suggest the HomePod has too much bass if I'm comparing it to another speaker that isn't of reference quality. Sure it may have more bass than the Klipsch, but the Klipsch is by no means a reference either. 

     

    I included both my reference system and the Klipsch to satisfy people who wanted to learn how the HomePod compares to a reference and how it compares to something in a similar category. I guess I can't please everyone. 

     

    I don't see my speculation as a really big problem. Given the previous measurements posted on reddit and retweeted by Phil Schiller, I couldn't help but think something was amiss. It turns out that something was amiss. As of today, it appears the measurements don't really say what author the suggested and they may be suspect. 

     

    I'm not really worried about speculating what Apple is doing or worried that someone is going to sue them. I also don't buy into the idea that Apple is holier than thou as a company. As soon as it stops using slave labor, I might be more open to thinking about it. Apple is beholden to shareholders. Given that fact, all bets are off. 

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    So if Devialet claims that the Phantom is an audiophile product and CA compares it to TAD CR-1's, I bet there would be zero issue here with the comparison.  If you tell me that your Honda Civic drives like an Italian roadster, you bet I am gonna take one for a spin and compare it to my exotic.

     

    Maybe Apple and the broader press are just kind of sloppy with throwing around the term Audiophile?  Or maybe audiophile means different things to different people.

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    12 hours ago, bobfa said:

    Very interesting to hear someone we respect review the device.  I have disagreed with all of the reviews I have seen to date.  I cannot fathom what Apple is trying to do with the speaker system as far as their direction.  I have read a couple of articles that try to articulate that but nothing rings true.  Apple appears to be creating a “house sound” that may be similar to the Beats brand?  I am not sure, but that will influence everything.  Sort of like what is happening to the B&W D3 speakers that have gotten so forward and harsh.  

     

    Now I actually bought three HomePod devices to replace the Amazon Echo devices that were around my home.  Part of that is for a bit better sound quality, part is due to information security or my perceptions that Apple is doing a better job here and has different motivations that Amazon.  

     

    I do not find the speaker to be so unpleasant that I would sell it at a loss after two or three days.  (Apple does have 14 day return policy).   I am 5 days into my “trial” and I am still intrigued.  The HomePod is not a “performace listening” system.  It does some really interesting/weird/fun/crazy things with sound and from that aspect I find it fascinating.  This is sort of like DIRAC or other room correction system boxed up in one place and gone wild!.  Apple has chosen a sound signature just like B&W to match their market segment and direction.

     

    For background music “playing in the other room” it is interesting.  For quite wind down listening in the evening it is also “ok” I would call the sound signature for this kind of listening THROATY.  It is not about placement of instruments or accuracy it is the simplicity of having music accessible when I want it.  

     

    The voice response system is actually well executed, it really hears me well.  Now the domains that are supported are lacking vs some of the competition in that space.   That limitation is somewhat problematic for many.  We are very early days on this. 

     

    If I had to fish or cut bait today I would take the HomePods back.  They are too expensive and do not deliver as well as I would like them to on several fronts.  The real question is will I put the Amazon Echos back in place.  I thought that I could live with some of the voice control limits that Apple has vs some of the complexity that Amazon has.

     

    Today is not decision day.  That day should be this Friday.....  We will see.

     

    —RJF

     

     

    I wanted to add a bit more to my thoughts here.  There are two other people in my home; my wife and my son.  We are pretty comfortable with using Amazon Echo devices. In addtion  I have a "REALLY GOOD" main stereo system in the Living Room that fills the first and second floor with music if the doors to the bedrooms are open.    But operating the stereo is a lot harder than talking to a magic box in the corner to tell it to play music.  

     

    There are a lot of limitations on Siri and the HomePod that I knew about before purchase. 

     

    More tomorrow,...

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites



    Create an account or sign in to comment

    You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

    Create an account

    Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

    Register a new account

    Sign in

    Already have an account? Sign in here.

    Sign In Now

×