IGNORED

iTunes Audiophile Downloads

rlodad

2.26 GHz Mac Mini (Late 2009), 8 GB RAM, 2 External Seagate 7200 RPM 1TB / Firewire 800/ Wavelength Wavelink/ Berkeley Audio Alpha DAC / Nordost Blue Heaven IC / Musical Fidelity KW 750 / Nordost Blue Heaven Speaker cable/ Magnepan MG 3.6r with MYE stands / Custom purpose built listening room

I would be ecstatic to see one of the world's main music distribution systems embrace HiRez....but first let's see them even embrace redbook!! I mean, this is like going from VHS to 1080p, completely skipping S-VHS and DVD. Nice but skeptical.

Given itunes version history http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ITunes_version_history, itunes 11 is already late, like 4-5 months late. Maybe something big is brewing. Let's just hope it's audiophile downloads.

Just CD format downloads -although a step ahead- won't cut it, because all this time we've been told that aac+ format is like listening to CDs.

This will eventually change a lot in the music industry...

Also, expect Jobs to break molds like files at 64/3Ghz some try to sell :P that should be fun to watch

NEXT (Pun intended)

Ipod support for High rez,

Itune with auto bitrate switching

What else?

Qnap NAS (LPS) >UA ETHER REGEN (BG7TBL Master Clock) > Grimm MU1 > Mola Mola Tambaqui /Meridian 808.3> Wavac EC300B >Tannoy Canterbury SE

HP Rig ++ >Woo WES/ > Stax SR-009, Audeze LCD2

When I read this on CNN a couple of minutes ago...

This (24/96 downloads) is the only thing that would get me to buy my music in iTunes rather than a CD at the record store.

Bill

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.

Mac Mini->Roon + Tidal->KEF LS50W

I am doubtful because of a taciturn Midwestern nature that I can't do anything about. But I would like to note that going to 24/96 in a physical format would be pretty difficult. Sure, a lot of CD players also play DVD-Audio and the like, but must computers can't -- meaning I can't transfer the music I've purchases legally onto my iPod.

To go to to 24/96 at the iTunes store would mean offering the same kind of low-rez/hi-rez options Apple already does with video. All semi-recent vintage Macs can handle that, and I'd be willing to bet that any iOS device which can play video could be re-configured to play hi-rez.

I'd be happy to pay a premium, and I wouldn't mind DRM (as I'm pretty sure we'd figure out how to defeat it in less time than it took to write this comment).

How is iTunes 11 late? Apple has been on an annual schedule now for a few years.

As for the 24-bit speculation, there's no way Apple would do that for all music. At best, they might offer lossless, or a handful of 24-bit files for those who think it's worth more to pay for them.

I write about Macs, music, and more at Kirkville.

Author of Take Control of macOS Media Apps

Co-host of The Next Track podcast.

I also couldn't believe it when I read this rumor today!! This is HUGE. I periodically over the past two years had been emailing [email protected] and senior people at Mobile Fidelity and Sony Records asking for highrez downloads. It must be my emails that finally made this happen :)

I think Apple will, at a minimum, do redbook downloads (Steve Jobs believes in the download and hates physical media such as cd and dvd), but there remains a real possibility of 24/96 downloads. It just makes sense for Apple to do real highrez in terms of revenue stream considering the minimal cost to make the software available to its massive user base.

My fingers are crossed big time on this one.

- Mark

Synology DS916+ > SoTM dCBL-CAT7 > Netgear switch > SoTM dCBL-CAT7 > dCS Vivaldi Upsampler (Nordost Valhalla 2 power cord) > Nordost Valhalla 2 Dual 110 Ohm AES/EBU > dCS Vivaldi DAC (David Elrod Statement Gold power cord) > Nordost Valhalla 2 xlr > Absolare Passion preamp (Nordost Valhalla 2 power cord) > Nordost Valhalla 2 xlr > VTL MB-450 III (Shunyata King Cobra CX power cords) > Nordost Valhalla 2 speaker > Kaiser Kaewero Classic /JL Audio F110 (Wireworld Platinum power cord).

Power Conditioning: Entreq Olympus Tellus grounding (AC, preamp and dac) / Shunyata Hydra Triton + Typhoon (Shunyata Anaconda ZiTron umbilical/Shunyata King Cobra CX power cord) > Furutec GTX D-Rhodium AC outlet.

As for the 24-bit speculation, there's no way Apple would do that for all music. At best, they might offer lossless, or a handful of 24-bit files for those who think it's worth more to pay for them.

I agree completely with Kirkmc that 24/96 offerings would be a relatively small subset, but the labels also need to drive revenue and a new format is the best way to unlock a revenue stream from their catalogues.

- Mark

Synology DS916+ > SoTM dCBL-CAT7 > Netgear switch > SoTM dCBL-CAT7 > dCS Vivaldi Upsampler (Nordost Valhalla 2 power cord) > Nordost Valhalla 2 Dual 110 Ohm AES/EBU > dCS Vivaldi DAC (David Elrod Statement Gold power cord) > Nordost Valhalla 2 xlr > Absolare Passion preamp (Nordost Valhalla 2 power cord) > Nordost Valhalla 2 xlr > VTL MB-450 III (Shunyata King Cobra CX power cords) > Nordost Valhalla 2 speaker > Kaiser Kaewero Classic /JL Audio F110 (Wireworld Platinum power cord).

Power Conditioning: Entreq Olympus Tellus grounding (AC, preamp and dac) / Shunyata Hydra Triton + Typhoon (Shunyata Anaconda ZiTron umbilical/Shunyata King Cobra CX power cord) > Furutec GTX D-Rhodium AC outlet.

Chris, in reference to your comments about Dre, they made reference to 24/96 files during HPalm's tablet/phone announcement a week or so ago. If you check out the Beats audio site there are interviews with Jimmy Iovine and Dre about finally getting to hear music the way artists do in the studio and that MP3's had it's day - it was a cool way to trade and carry around a lot of songs with your friends but now we need to move on to better quality, better than CD quality.

Part of it's a push to sell their DSP-based technology that they've licensed to HP but if it means a music-industry push for high-resolution downloads I'm all for it.

As I said, love it or hate it, iTunes is the only vehicle at this point that could bring that to the masses. I'm pumped!

Bill

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.

Mac Mini->Roon + Tidal->KEF LS50W

mentioned it in the front page article. Although hdd space would be limited, it would be cool to have a mainstream player like the iPod support hirez...regardless of whether most would notice the diff or want the size tradeoffs.

I would think that the size tradeoff would be key to determining how high up the ladder Apple chose to go with sound resolution. I would expect 24/44.1 and hope for 24/96. HDTracks should be proof that 24/96 downloads of pop music are profitable, but they are a whole other magnitude of scale from Apple. To keep with the Beatle theme, "All Things Must Pass" and "Band on the Run" are already available at 24/96. A 24/96 download of the Led Zeppelin box set would also be an incredible marketing move. I would see no reason to buy redbook CD's if the music were available as 24/96 downloads. As it is, after months of ripping, I have some 1200 redbook CD's already relegated to my cellar.

Esau

If this is going to happen, it has to be with some form of lossless compression (i doubt very much they will use plain uncompressed aiff or wav).

I know that Apple lossless codec can handle 16/44,1 audio data, but can this codec handle 24/44,1 as well?

Also, can ALC handle 48, 88,2 or 96 khz?

Regards,

Jorge

Apple Lossless can handle at least 96/24 - I have several albums in my collection.

John Walker - IT Executive

Headphone - SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable Ethernet > mRendu Roon endpoint > Topping D90 > Topping A90d > Dan Clark Expanse / HiFiMan H6SE v2 / HiFiman Arya Stealth

Home Theater / Music -SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable HDMI > Denon X3700h > Anthem Amp for front channels > Revel F208-based 5.2.4 Atmos speaker system

That's great!

ipods could be upgraded to make them able to play 24/96 audio.

At least in full size models this should be possible: in the pro audio market there are many pocket field audio recorders that can play and record up to 24/96, so why not ipods?

Perhaps the smaller ones not, but the standard size is entirely possible.

Jorge

My iPod Classic can already play 24bit 48kHz Apple Lossless files. I'm listening to one right now.

nigel[br]ALAC stored on Drobo -> Mac Mini -> iTunes -> Airport Express (1st gen) -> Monoprice toslink -> NAD M2 Direct Digital Amplifier -> Wilson Benesch Curve

I've checked the apple page for ipod's specifications, but better than 16/44 is not explicitely mentioned (at least I could find such explicit info).

It is very possible that current ipods are simply truncating 24 bit files.

Does any one have some knowledge on this? I think even in the cnn article linked above is mentioned that electronic devices have to be upgraded, but obviously this was a very general comment.

Jorge