Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 343
  1. #1

    Funding? making SACD ripping available through USB!

    Howdy,

    As some of you know I've made SACD ripping available through a PS3. The process of finding a PS3 with the correct software is cumbersome to say the least. Bare with me, there is another option..

    The internal PS3 Blu-Ray player can actually be connected to a standard IDE port. With the proper software to go along the Blu-Ray drive can be authenticated to your PC and you'll be able to rip SACD's from your desktop computer directly. Yes, it really could be as simple as connecting the drive to a USB port and start the ripping process. Sounds great, so what's the catch? There is significant work involved..

    1. First we need a stable connection from the blu-ray drive to a USB port. There is actually a device (3K3Y Ripp3r | Rip your games) which in theory is really all we need.. In reality it's too unstable and to low of build quality to be useful (I know as I've ordered several). My personal preferred option is to develop a PCB myself which has the proper connector to convert the PS3 blu-ray drive connector to IDE and put all of that in a box that does IDE <-> USB. Something like:

    70158712.jpg

    2. The software that does the ripping process needs to authenticate the drive using the SACD authentication mechanism. I've already build/modified the emulator and I've tested the emulator with the Sony SACD authentication module, it works! Great so what's left? I still need to integrate all of that into SACD-Extract and make the process user-friendly.

    Still interested? You can help me out by ordering (crowd funding?) a drive from me! I will supply you with an enclosure that contains a refurbished PS3 blu-ray player and a USB connection. I did some calculations and I need sell at least 150 drives to make this project viable. The price for a single drive will be 220 euro / dollar (excluding shipping costs).

    If you're interested you can sign-up here:
    https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1-BJ...FBXKGoGaQ/edit

    And watch registrations here:
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

    Details (payment, the look of the thing, specific parts, etc..) will follow, I first need to know if there is interest from the community..

    fyi. It's not illegal for me/you to buy/sell a PS3 drive that's connected to a PC. It's also not illegal to distribute a modified SACD-Extract as it will not contain the Sony code that does the authentication. The Sony code is a separate module that you'll need to download yourself. I'll make the whole process easy, I promise!

    Please spread the link to this CA post as I will not crosspost to other forums..

    Cheers!

  2. #2
    Only one question: If this project is intended for SACD only, why we need BR drive?
    Last edited by Maldur; 10-24-2014 at 02:31 PM. Reason: not so relevant
    Sorry, english is not my native language.

  3. #3
    Masters Level Member firedog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Third Stone from the Sun
    Posts
    5,083
    Blog Entries
    3
    I want to make sure I understand correctly. If we buy one of these devices, we can connect it via USB to a computer, insert an SACD to the drive in the enclosure and rip an iso of the DSD file on the SACD to the PC (Obviously we'd have to load the proper software on the PC also.)?
    System (in small home office): GIK Acoustics Room Treatments>CAPS4 Pipeline (running Roon + HQ Player, Sonore 12V PS) > SOtM LAN Filter+Sonore microRendu >Mytek 192 DSD Stereo DAC >Odyssey Audio Kismet Stereo Power Amp (Khartago Case) >Devore Gibbon Nines.
    Isol-8 Minisub Axis Conditioning/Protection

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by firedog View Post
    I want to make sure I understand correctly. If we buy one of these devices, we can connect it via USB to a computer, insert an SACD to the drive in the enclosure and rip an iso of the DSD file on the SACD to the PC (Obviously we'd have to load the proper software on the PC also.)?
    In one word: YES!

  5. #5
    retired, ... but active ;-) Synfreak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    749
    @maldur:
    AFAIK, you still need a SACD capable drive to get around the hardware copy protection.

    @Mr. Wicked:
    Hmmm, this sounds very promising. But I am not sure I really need it - besides my 3 PS3s - to finish ripping my SACDs.
    But I will think about it, for sure!
    Foobar2000+Win8/64 / Esoteric SA-60 --> Mytek Stereo 192-DSD DAC --> ME Geithain RL922K / Sennheiser HD 800 / AKG K1000 / AKG K500 / STAX SR-303+SRM-323II

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Maldur View Post
    Only one question: If this project is intended for SACD only, why we need BR drive?
    The PS3 SACD drive is the only drive that is capable of reading SACDs natively on a computer (be that PS3 or a PC). And yes, it happens to be a BR drive.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Synfreak View Post
    @maldur:
    AFAIK, you still need a SACD capable drive to get around the hardware copy protection.
    Ahh, I forgott this feature! But if DVD drive don't care about that, like a BR don't? DVD with working order always starts with CD and we don't even know what happened when... let's say , laser for CD layer not working and for DVD it is in perfect condition
    Sorry, english is not my native language.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wicked View Post
    The PS3 SACD drive is the only drive that is capable of reading SACDs natively on a computer
    OK , I understand the reason - nobody don't touch the drive in any way and it stays exactly as manufacturer did. So, it's replaceable then in easy way when needed.
    Sorry, english is not my native language.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Maldur View Post
    OK , I understand the reason - nobody don't touch the drive in any way and it stays exactly as manufacturer did. So, it's replaceable then in easy way when needed.
    Good question and confirmed, the drive will remain original as there are no modifications necessary for it to operate outside the PS3.

  10. #10
    Sophomore Member Totsipaki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Athens Greece
    Posts
    223
    Hi this is my second post in this forum.

    Somehow though reasonably ambitious i find this project a little vain since we will have to rely in the increasingly rarer and unreliable playstation drives.

    I thought of another idea which allow me to say is more useful and by far easier to fulfill. An easy to use and comprehensible software for MAC and PC able to convert Sacd Iso to dsf files therefore to something more usable by many devices.

    Please let me know if such a thing exists, I know there are solutions but they are far from easy to use and comprehensible.

    Thats all and sorry if I am slightly off topic..

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Totsipaki View Post
    Somehow though reasonably ambitious i find this project a little vain since we will have to rely in the increasingly rarer and unreliable playstation drives.
    I don't want to end up in a yes/no discussion going nowhere. But I claim you are wrong as I know drives/drive parts are widely available.

  12. #12
    Hi Mr Wicked,

    What a great news! Thanks for your great work! I have a spare SACD capable PS3 drive. Can I build an SACD ripping drive using it and your hw/sw? If so then what would this cost?

  13. #13
    It's interesting, but I would need to see proof that it works and have more details. (PC only? PC & Mac? Custom drivers required, or just ripping software?)
    220 euro sounds like a lot for the drive inside an enclosure. If we no longer have to worry about the software version, a used PS3 is a fraction of that price. Buy a "dead" YLoD system and pull the drive from it.

    Is there a reason you are not going through a site like Kickstarter? Especially now that they require you to deliver on your product if it is funded.

  14. #14
    Senior Member One and a half's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    BNE
    Posts
    3,343
    I like the concept of a standalone device that can attach to a computer and rip like a regular CD, great effort!

    The downer is, the reliability that raises a concern, the main reason is the laser pickup, which does break, it also occurs with regular Sony SACD players even out of the box.

    Given the life of the suitable PS3 units, I would put in extra EUR to replace the laser/pickup, as well as 'grease' the bearings to get the most out of the product as its use would be intense for a few weeks then used occasionally.

    Question then why not buy an OEM SACD drive like Oppo and adapt it for ripping? Does the OEM drive behave like an IDE drive, maybe not, don't know the answer there. Guess someone would have completed this ages ago by now?

  15. #15
    retired, ... but active ;-) Synfreak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    749
    Quote Originally Posted by Totsipaki View Post
    ...
    I thought of another idea which allow me to say is more useful and by far easier to fulfill. An easy to use and comprehensible software for MAC and PC able to convert Sacd Iso to dsf files therefore to something more usable by many devices.

    Please let me know if such a thing exists, I know there are solutions but they are far from easy to use and comprehensible.
    ...
    How do you store DFF ( untagged ) files?

    It will not get much easier as that. So you might want to give it a try.
    Foobar2000+Win8/64 / Esoteric SA-60 --> Mytek Stereo 192-DSD DAC --> ME Geithain RL922K / Sennheiser HD 800 / AKG K1000 / AKG K500 / STAX SR-303+SRM-323II

  16. #16
    Will the package contain the proper software as well and will there be a users guide? Note: I am almost a complete ignoramus where it concerns IT (otherwise I'm fine :-)).

  17. #17
    I feel the same way as Skeptic. If you properly fund this through Kickstarter or something similar, I will be the 1st person in line to sign up.

  18. #18
    empirical science audiophile
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    virginia
    Posts
    919
    Sounds worthwhile, just post when the kickstarter begins. Eliminates having to send them off to someone who has a PS3 rigged to rip your SACD.
    Regards,
    Dave

    System
    Analog Music chain- Turntable Sota Sapphire - Arm Modified Rega RB300 - Cartridge Dynavector 10x5 - Phono pre MS Phonomena II+
    Digital Music Chain-
    Win10PC/SDXC disk library running Fidelizer Pro w Foobar2000/HQPlayer (trial) - Streamer microRendu - Asynch USB converter Gustard U12
    Gear -
    DAC Metrum Octave, Pre Microzotl 2 Amp HT preamp bypass to Prima Luna Prologue Premium / KT-150 power tubes, Speakers Magnepan 1.7
    Misc - HDPlex power supply used to supply 12V DC to Microzotl and 7.5V DC to microRendu

  19. #19
    Senior Member Jabs1542's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    1,048
    I like the idea because my PS3 is beyond flakey, however I would prefer to support you through kickstarter. I am a fan of your work and follow your (and Ted's and Jesus's) formula for DSF extraction. However what you propose, us pay now to help you get funded, could be throwing away money if you decide later to pull the plug.

    To give this a more positive note, I am interested and if you go kickstarter I am in.
    Analog: Koetsu Rosewood > VPI Aries 3 w/SDS > EAR 834P > EAR 834L: Audiodesk cleaner
    Digital Fun: DAS > CAPS v3 w/LPS (JRMC) SOtM USB > Lynx Hilo > EAR 834L
    Digital Serious: DAS > CAPS v3 w/LPS (HQPlayer) Ethernet > SMS-100 NAA > Lampi DSD L4 G5 > EAR 834L
    Digital Disc: Oppo BDP 95 > EAR 834L
    Output: EAR 834L > Xilica XP4080 DSP > Odessey Stratos Mono Extreme > Legacy Aeris
    Phones: EAR 834L > Little Dot Mk ii > Senheiser HD 800


  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by Skeptic View Post
    It's interesting, but I would need to see proof that it works and have more details. (PC only? PC & Mac? Custom drivers required, or just ripping software?)
    220 euro sounds like a lot for the drive inside an enclosure. If we no longer have to worry about the software version, a used PS3 is a fraction of that price. Buy a "dead" YLoD system and pull the drive from it.

    Is there a reason you are not going through a site like Kickstarter? Especially now that they require you to deliver on your product if it is funded.
    Quote Originally Posted by emergetech View Post
    I feel the same way as Skeptic. If you properly fund this through Kickstarter or something similar, I will be the 1st person in line to sign up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jabs1542 View Post
    I like the idea because my PS3 is beyond flakey, however I would prefer to support you through kickstarter. I am a fan of your work and follow your (and Ted's and Jesus's) formula for DSF extraction. However what you propose, us pay now to help you get funded, could be throwing away money if you decide later to pull the plug.

    To give this a more positive note, I am interested and if you go kickstarter I am in.
    I understand, and no I will not start a Kickstarter project. I might not have made myself clear.. I will not be asking anyone for money in advance. You'll be paying once I'm ready to send you a box. The only thing I'm currently asking you for is shear commitment. How's that for a risk? When we've reached that magic 150 unit mark I will start the work, fund it myself, but before that I won't do anything. So I'm putting my trust in you guys, how's that for a change? I also didn't mention it could take a while before you get your unit as there is significant work involved, which simply takes development time.

  21. #21
    Cord Cutter junker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Orange County, CA
    Posts
    830
    I'd seriously consider this through KS. I have the correct PS3 but the f/w is too new... :/
    A Digital Audio Converter connected to my Home Computer taking me into the Future

  22. #22
    Sophomore Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Sacramento, CA
    Posts
    142
    I'm in on this, but I didn't see the answer to the RFI on the platform specifics. Will this work in a Mac, and what OS will it function under?

    If not Mac, I don't know how I can easily make it work for me.

    Thanks,

    ---Michael
    Server ---> Rpi ---> Audiophilleo2 ---> Metrum Octave ---> Audio Horizons Pre ---> Pass Labs XA30.5 ---> Sonus Faber Liuto Towers
    Computer ---> Audio Hardware ---> Air ---> Ears ---> Brain

  23. #23
    Junior Member Elberoth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Warsaw, Poland
    Posts
    712
    Great project ! i'm in and probably several of my friends will follow, after it becomes available.
    Adam

    PC: CAPS v4 Pipeline + Teradak full ATX linear PSU, Jcat USB card + Teddy Pardo PSU, Jcat battery PSU for the SSD, Regen + Teddy Pardo PSU, running Win 2012 + AO
    Digital: Trinity DAC, Lampizator Golden Gate
    Amp: MSB M202
    Speakers: Magico S5 mk 2 on order
    Cables: AudioQuest WEL Signature IC / Shunyata Anaconda Z-Tron SC

  24. #24
    Senior Member Jabs1542's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    1,048
    I'm in - signed up on your web page.

    for the Mac crowd, I saw where there is already an offering for the Mac platform, requires Maverick.
    Last edited by Jabs1542; 10-25-2014 at 08:26 PM. Reason: Typo
    Analog: Koetsu Rosewood > VPI Aries 3 w/SDS > EAR 834P > EAR 834L: Audiodesk cleaner
    Digital Fun: DAS > CAPS v3 w/LPS (JRMC) SOtM USB > Lynx Hilo > EAR 834L
    Digital Serious: DAS > CAPS v3 w/LPS (HQPlayer) Ethernet > SMS-100 NAA > Lampi DSD L4 G5 > EAR 834L
    Digital Disc: Oppo BDP 95 > EAR 834L
    Output: EAR 834L > Xilica XP4080 DSP > Odessey Stratos Mono Extreme > Legacy Aeris
    Phones: EAR 834L > Little Dot Mk ii > Senheiser HD 800


  25. #25
    Thank you for your support guys, we're on 31 early adapters already!

    btw. I can confirm that both the software & hardware (no drivers needed) will be working on a MAC as well.

Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast