Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 66
  1. #1

    e-Onkyo Downloads

    I searched the forum and couldn't find that anyone had posted they had downloaded from e-Onkyo (from North America). Can anyone confirm that we can/can't do such? I've tried to get to the "purchase" page but can't quite figure out the Japanese so I don't know if I am being "prohibited" or am just not clicking the right buttons.

    Best,
    John

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    526
    I tried getting my credit card accepted but it would not go through. For translation I use Chrome's translation feature.

  3. #3
    Senior Member One and a half's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    BNE
    Posts
    3,839
    Apart for Japanese titles, many are from the 2L stable. In Europe, Highres.com distribute (some) DSD from 2L.
    Europeans are cheaper, over $60 for Ola Gjeilo Piano Improvisations, bit steep for me.

  4. #4
    Sophomore Member digitalzed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    175
    I just completed signing up and downloading using Chrome. Only through the Japanese site and only using AMEX. Yep, the cost is high and I'm not yet sure it's worth it, but I'll post back and let you know how my ears like it. I'm downloading the 192/24 FLAC of Syncronicity by The Police.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by digitalzed View Post
    I just completed signing up and downloading using Chrome. Only through the Japanese site and only using AMEX. Yep, the cost is high and I'm not yet sure it's worth it, but I'll post back and let you know how my ears like it. I'm downloading the 192/24 FLAC of Syncronicity by The Police.
    Thanks everyone for all the comments...and good news on being successful! Let's hear how that download sounds? There are several titles that might be interesting to try.

    Best,
    John

  6. #6
    From another thread but exactly on point:


    Quote Originally Posted by brucknerdoc View Post
    Yes, it is a real PIA - but once you're setup, it works fine for subsequent visits.

    There was thread I came across that helped me get setup at first:

    http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f1...ng-soon-11984/

    A couple of tips:
    - use a browser, like Chrome, that will auto-transalte as you go along. And Google translate is your friend for everything else
    - the hardest part was finding a japanese phrase to use the site would recognize. I eventually found this worked: こんにちは
    - AmEx was the only payment card I could get to work

    Hope this helps!

  7. #7
    Sophomore Member digitalzed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    175
    Quote Originally Posted by InfernoSTi View Post
    Thanks everyone for all the comments...and good news on being successful! Let's hear how that download sounds? There are several titles that might be interesting to try.

    Best,
    John
    John, I downloaded Synronicity by The Police earlier today. Just finished listening to it now. I'm not a charts and graphs guy so I can't give you that info. I can tell you that it blows the MOFI Ultradisc I have out of the water. Is it worth $30+? For this release, to me, yes. Onkyo gives no mastering/producer info that I could find, but the sound is much more revealing, spatial, and goes much deeper than the MOFI disc. It may be the same as the SACD, Not sure. I'm speculating because unlike many of the hi res releases on HDT, it doesn't send you running to turn down the volume on the first track. I'm not regretting trying this release.

    One caution, they do have a lot of the same titles as HDT. I'm guessing they may be the same. Not a company connection between the two, but that Onkyo purchased the same Doors, Stones, and other remastered that are out there on other sites. But Syncronicity is not widely available as a high res download and that's the main reason I chose it to try.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by digitalzed View Post
    John, I downloaded Synronicity by The Police earlier today. Just finished listening to it now. I'm not a charts and graphs guy so I can't give you that info. I can tell you that it blows the MOFI Ultradisc I have out of the water. Is it worth $30+? For this release, to me, yes. Onkyo gives no mastering/producer info that I could find, but the sound is much more revealing, spatial, and goes much deeper than the MOFI disc. It may be the same as the SACD, Not sure. I'm speculating because unlike many of the hi res releases on HDT, it doesn't send you running to turn down the volume on the first track. I'm not regretting trying this release.

    One caution, they do have a lot of the same titles as HDT. I'm guessing they may be the same. Not a company connection between the two, but that Onkyo purchased the same Doors, Stones, and other remastered that are out there on other sites. But Syncronicity is not widely available as a high res download and that's the main reason I chose it to try.
    On e-Onkyo the Warners/Rhino material is the same as supplied to Hd Tracks. In fact, most of the Rhino material was remastered for Japan and the U.S. downloads originate from there.

    There is almost never any info on mastering as there is no equivalent to the Steve Hoffman Forum in Japan, so there has been no source to create reverence for mastering engineers there.

    The Universal material is generally different and are Japanese remasterings, either done in the U.K. from original analog masters or in the country of origin, most were done for the SHM-SACD series and are noted (in awkward translations) as being derived from the DSD masters, but I suspect it is the other way around - the DSD was derived from the 24/192 masters. It is irrelevant as the 6 or 7 I have sound mind bogglingly amazing and way better than any other versions.

  9. #9
    Non native english speaker, so forgive me if I am rude... chriss71's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Austria
    Posts
    750
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Hutton View Post
    There is almost never any info on mastering as there is no equivalent to the Steve Hoffman Forum in Japan, so there has been no source to create reverence for mastering engineers there.
    All of my SHM-SACD (and I have almost everything from them) are the source stated... (not the mastering engineer is stated but the source of their files are completly stated)

  10. #10
    Sophomore Member digitalzed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    175
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Hutton View Post
    On e-Onkyo the Warners/Rhino material is the same as supplied to Hd Tracks. In fact, most of the Rhino material was remastered for Japan and the U.S. downloads originate from there.

    There is almost never any info on mastering as there is no equivalent to the Steve Hoffman Forum in Japan, so there has been no source to create reverence for mastering engineers there.

    The Universal material is generally different and are Japanese remasterings, either done in the U.K. from original analog masters or in the country of origin, most were done for the SHM-SACD series and are noted (in awkward translations) as being derived from the DSD masters, but I suspect it is the other way around - the DSD was derived from the 24/192 masters. It is irrelevant as the 6 or 7 I have sound mind bogglingly amazing and way better than any other versions.
    Thanks for elaborating on my post and shedding new light on this, Robert. I also agree that the sound is very, very good. The only thing I would add at this point is to download any duplicate site files from HDT to save the money since they are derived from the same source. I'll be looking at the Onkyo site for those titles I can't find elsewhere.

  11. #11
    Sophomore Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Frederick MD
    Posts
    230
    Resurrecting an old thread here, but the other night I downloaded Steely Dan's Aja from this site in 24/192. It is certainly much more cleaner and crisper than the CD version that I have, bass being very easy to hear and follow, as are background vocals. Was it worth over $30? For me, yes, as I'm a long time Dan fan but for others maybe not so much.

    Colin

  12. #12
    Sophomore Member digitalzed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    175
    Quote Originally Posted by frederick184 View Post
    Resurrecting an old thread here, but the other night I downloaded Steely Dan's Aja from this site in 24/192. It is certainly much more cleaner and crisper than the CD version that I have, bass being very easy to hear and follow, as are background vocals. Was it worth over $30? For me, yes, as I'm a long time Dan fan but for others maybe not so much.

    Colin
    Felt exactly the same way, Colin.

  13. #13
    As a follow up myself, I looked at the new (revised) site and found that on Google Chrome Translate, I was now easily able to register as a user. I then downloaded the free sample track in DSD 5.6MHz and it sounds GREAT! So I decided to try to make a purchase...it took my MasterCard with no fuss. I'm downloading a JS Bach: Goldberg Variations in DSD 5.6MHz for $50. It was all effortless this time around. The new site is easy to maneuver and takes MC!

    Best,
    John
    Positive emotions enhance our musical experiences.

    Synology DS213+ NAS -> Auralic Vega w/Linear Power Supply -> Auralic Vega DAC (Symposium Jr rollerball isolation) -> XLR -> Auralic Taurus Pre -> XLR -> Pass Labs XA-30.5 power amplifier (on 4" maple and 4 Stillpoints) -> Hawthorne Audio Reference K2 Speakers in MTM configuration (Symposium Jr HD rollerball isolation) and Hawthorne Audio Bass Augmentation Baffles (Symposium Jr rollerball isolation) -> Bi-amped w/ two Rythmic OB plate amps) -> Extensive Room Treatments (x2 SRL Acoustics Prime 37 diffusion plus key absorption and extensive bass trapping) and Pi Audio Uberbuss' for the front end and amplification

  14. #14
    Do the tracks downloaded from e-Onkyo have their the metadata written in Japanese or Roman alphabet?

  15. #15
    Masters Level Member firedog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Third Stone from the Sun
    Posts
    5,711
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by Boris75 View Post
    Do the tracks downloaded from e-Onkyo have their the metadata written in Japanese or Roman alphabet?
    some of both. My who tracks had the song titles in latin characters and the either the group name or the album title also in Japanese. Not a biggie, not hard to change. Pretty much everything I buy anywhere I alter the tags anyway, so this isn't much different.
    System (in small home office): GIK Acoustics Room Treatments>CAPS4 Pipeline (running Roon + HQ Player, Sonore 12V PS) > SOtM LAN Filter+Sonore microRendu (LPS-1)>Mytek 192 DSD Stereo DAC >Schiit Freya pre>Odyssey Audio Kismet Stereo Power Amp (Khartago Case) >Devore Gibbon Nines.
    Isol-8 Minisub Axis Conditioning/Protection
    Also various SB devices: 2 Touch, 1 Boom, Duet controller.
    And a TT I never use.

  16. #16
    Well, getting registered and downloading on/from e-Onkyo was not the easiest thing for me either. No luck using Google Chrome on my Windows XP machine, so I switched to the Mac with Mountain Lion and Google Chrome and I succeeded. There was some guesswork with the translation though.
    I purchased Quadrophenia for 3,000 yen on a Mastercard. The download is happening now, and when it's done I'll shift the files to my PC and convert for loading back onto the MAC for play in FLAC format through Pure Music, while retaining the original WAV files for JRiver on the PC. Don't ask, but it works.
    Thanks for the above posts which gave me encouragement to keep me trying with e-Onkyo.
    I've been looking for a nice quality version of this album for years. Can't wait to give it a listen.

  17. #17
    I'm using Google Chrome with Windows 8.1 here. Works great with e-Onkyo.

    They have some very interesting downloads. I picked up several of the CTI jazz downloads in Stereo DSD. Apparently generated from 2nd Generation Tapes. Well done.

  18. #18
    Hi everyone! Glad to be part of the community

    Taking opportunity to post these (e-Onkyo, Dire Straits, Love Over Gold - 192kHz/24 bit FLAC):

    log-waveform.jpglog-spectrogram.jpg

    Any comments?

  19. #19
    Um I never heard the album, but based on the spectrum, 192khz looks overkill since there is no information above 30kHz. A 88.2khz sample rate should cover everything, and 48khz should sound nearly identical.

  20. #20
    Masters Level Member firedog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Third Stone from the Sun
    Posts
    5,711
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreaming Jester View Post
    Hi everyone! Glad to be part of the community

    Taking opportunity to post these (e-Onkyo, Dire Straits, Love Over Gold - 192kHz/24 bit FLAC):

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	log-waveform.jpg 
Views:	394 
Size:	523.2 KB 
ID:	12260Click image for larger version. 

Name:	log-spectrogram.jpg 
Views:	365 
Size:	639.2 KB 
ID:	12261

    Any comments?
    Looks pretty good for any older music. Doesn't look volume compressed, and the spectrum is fine (not brickwalled). Whether 192 is beneficial is a matter for debate, and may depend on your DAC. Some are better at some resolutions than others.

    How does it sound to you?
    System (in small home office): GIK Acoustics Room Treatments>CAPS4 Pipeline (running Roon + HQ Player, Sonore 12V PS) > SOtM LAN Filter+Sonore microRendu (LPS-1)>Mytek 192 DSD Stereo DAC >Schiit Freya pre>Odyssey Audio Kismet Stereo Power Amp (Khartago Case) >Devore Gibbon Nines.
    Isol-8 Minisub Axis Conditioning/Protection
    Also various SB devices: 2 Touch, 1 Boom, Duet controller.
    And a TT I never use.

  21. #21
    Quote Originally Posted by firedog View Post
    the spectrum is fine (not brickwalled).
    Looks like an extremely steep shelving filter, as steep as a brick wall filter, at about 20 kHz has been applied at some stage of production, though.

  22. #22
    Sure sounds fine. I just can't find much difference between the hi-res and the CD version. Background noise is present in both. Do you have e-Onkyo downloads?

  23. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreaming Jester View Post
    Sure sounds fine.

    That's the main thing.

    I just can't find much difference between the hi-res and the CD version.

    Next time, buy one track to test before purchasing an entire album. Some retailers will give a discount for the already purchased track.

    Do you have e-Onkyo downloads?

    No.


  24. #24
    Masters Level Member firedog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Third Stone from the Sun
    Posts
    5,711
    Blog Entries
    3
    I have a few. Among them, the Who albums in 24-192, which are a little better than the MFSL versions and other versions as I hear them. I haven't directly compared them to the actual SHM-SACDs (they are supposedly from the same master, it isn't totally clear if the original remastering was DSD for SACD or 24-192, which was converted to SACD) to see how they compare.

    There is some discussion of e-Onkyo elsewhere on this site that will give you some clues about what is worthwhile to buy from there. Generally tendency seems to be that releases done especially/exclusively for the Japanese market are really good.

    Over a year ago they announced that in 2013 they would have a US download site. Hasn't happened. Hope it is still in the works.
    System (in small home office): GIK Acoustics Room Treatments>CAPS4 Pipeline (running Roon + HQ Player, Sonore 12V PS) > SOtM LAN Filter+Sonore microRendu (LPS-1)>Mytek 192 DSD Stereo DAC >Schiit Freya pre>Odyssey Audio Kismet Stereo Power Amp (Khartago Case) >Devore Gibbon Nines.
    Isol-8 Minisub Axis Conditioning/Protection
    Also various SB devices: 2 Touch, 1 Boom, Duet controller.
    And a TT I never use.

  25. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by firedog View Post
    Over a year ago they announced that in 2013 they would have a US download site. Hasn't happened. Hope it is still in the works.
    Since e-Onkyo Music isn't region restricted, I don't know that they need a US download site. An English translation of the current site - as an option - would be handy. For now, using Translate is very handy on that web site.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast