Results 1 to 1 of 1
04-22-2012, 11:01 AM #1
- Join Date
- Dec 2010
- FL & IL
AMB M3 DIY Headphone amp Way Exceeds Expectation!
I listen to my M3 headphone amp through 32 ohm Grado GS1000 headphones. The sound was unimpressive for the first 40 hours but since then it has been great and getting better. I never realized there was so much nuance and detail in music. There is even silence and space between the details. Sound stage ambiance and musical decay is amazing. Quality of source material is very apparent but not punishing. The realism, impact and ease of the flow of music continues to blow me away. I have never heard sound this good at at any price throughout my 35 years of interest in HiFi.
Here are specifics of my DIY build which I believe to have contributed to the sound quality.
1. I used a 24vdc regulated PowerOne Linear power supply (upgraded with HEXFREDs) followed by a Bybee Music Rail filter.
2. Takman metal film resistors used throughout except for Dale RN60s for the 1 ohm MOSFET output resistors.
3. Elna Silmic and Nichicon Muse electrolytics used throughout along with the Wima 1uf film caps. I also bypassed the Wima caps with Vishay 1837 0.01uf PP caps.
4. I bypassed the bass boost circuit and use an upgraded Truth preamp for volume control. A LightSpeed LDR attenuator using a kit from Uriah Dailey should work just as well.
5. The MOSFETs are mounted on 2.5 inch heat sinks with ventilation holes beneath, over, and even through the circuit board and are biased at 135ma.
6. AD8610 Opamps were used.
7. I Added a Silk DIY AC filter by Lukas Fikus (lampizator) in the same chassis, although it could be in a separate box.carlsor