Results 1 to 2 of 2
11-11-2012, 06:07 AM #1
How to configure Linux Mint for audiophile playback (step-by-step)?
Dear member of computer-audiophile,
For years I've been using Windows 7, JRiver Media Center and ASIO to play audio using an external USB sound-card (HiFace Evo) and external DAC (Theta Digital DS Pro Generation V). I've decided to start using Linux Mint due to its speed, safety and reliability. Now I would like to setup my Linux PC as an audiophile music server which doesn't resample or mess up the digital sound-stream in any way. I've performed some extensive searching on the internet but there is no clear answer, especially not for someone new to Linux. Therefore I started this topic!
How to configure Linux Mint for audiophile playback?
- Sample-rates are limited by 48 kHz / 16 bits (due to my DAC). Audio files with samplerates smaller or equal to 48 kHz should keep their original sampling frequency, audio files with higher sampling frequencies and/or resolution (i.e. 88.2, 96, 192 kHz, etc or 20, 24 bits) should be downsampled to 48 kHz / 16 bits.)
- MPD (Music Player Daemon) is used in order to be able to remotely control the music player from my listening position using a tablet of smartphone.
- A fresh installation of Linux Mint 13 Maya is used.
- Volume control should be disabled, leave this to the (pre-)amplifier.
- The drivers of my external USB sound-card (HiFace Evo) are available.
Who is able to explain step-by-step, in understandable language, how to setup a high-end playback system using Linux? Does someone have experience with this?
Which audio-layer (ALSA, Jack, PulseAudio) should (not) be used and how to configure this? It should be possible and it shouldn't be too complex.
Hopefully there are some Linux using audiophiles as well who can help me with this problem. When I succeed in obtaining a reliable and high-end music server/player using Linux, I will summarize this topic and provide a clear and step-by-step guide on this forum!
Thanks in advance!
MaartenLinux Mint 13, Intel E7400, Antec Performance One P183, Noctua silent cooling -> HiFace Evo -> Silver Sonic D-110 AES/EBU Digital Cable -> Theta Digital DS Pro Generation V -> PrimaLuna Prologue Two --> AH! LS Direkt KB 8 --> Vienna Acoustics Haydn Grand, Solid Steel stands
11-23-2012, 12:31 AM #2
- Join Date
- Nov 2012