• CATV Episode 5 - Dynaudio Xeo 4 and Xeo 6 North American Debut



    In Episode Five of CATV I talk to Dynaudio North America's Mike Manousselis about the new Xeo 4 and Xeo 6 wireless HiFi system. We spent some time listening to the first pair of these speakers in North America and really enjoyed the sound and ease of use. These are a definite improvement over the previous Xeo series. The new system supports high resolution up to 24 bit / 96 kHz and features great DSP (Digital Signal Processing) for use in corners and along walls. I currently have the Xeo 6 loudspeakers against a wall (left channel) and in a corner (right channel). The DSP does wonders for clearing up the sound. The new Xeo Hub also has no issues sending audio from my basement to the main level of our house without a hiccup. If I experience problems I have the new Xeo Extender, but thus far I have no need for an extensions. Here's Episode Five, enjoy.





















    Comments 21 Comments
    1. ecwl's Avatar
      ecwl -
      Great intro and demo. Interesting video perspective. Was that shot with the Panasonic 8mm fisheye m4/3 lens?
    1. The Computer Audiophile's Avatar
      The Computer Audiophile -
      Quote Originally Posted by ecwl View Post
      Great intro and demo. Interesting video perspective. Was that shot with the Panasonic 8mm fisheye m4/3 lens?
      I picked up a Gopro for easily shooting videos. So simple.
    1. realhifi's Avatar
      realhifi -
      Quote Originally Posted by The Computer Audiophile View Post
      I picked up a Gopro for easily shooting videos. So simple.
      The Gopro would have been my guess. Really weird perspective and odd distortion for filming people but hey, it's the content you are shooting for I assume.
    1. tranz's Avatar
      tranz -
      And a tasty MC275 as decoration....
    1. jcbenten's Avatar
      jcbenten -
      Thanks for doing this.
    1. DRB's Avatar
      DRB -
      Please don't take this personally, but for someone that has an "audiophile" based internet magazine, I would think that your listening room was fully dialed in with lots of room treatment. The room accounts for about 50% of what you are hearing.
    1. The Computer Audiophile's Avatar
      The Computer Audiophile -
      Quote Originally Posted by DRB View Post
      Please don't take this personally, but for someone that has an "audiophile" based internet magazine, I would think that your listening room was fully dialed in with lots of room treatment. The room accounts for about 50% of what you are hearing.
      Hi DRB - Don't worry I don't take anything personally :~)

      Not a single person who has visited my room has recommended room treatments. I have it dialed in very well. Fortunately I sit about nine feet from the speakers. This reduces the effect of the room.

      That said, I'd love to measure my room and try all kinds of room treatments.

      I have the Linn Exact system coming in August. This system is tuned for each listening environment.
    1. Mille Ferrari's Avatar
      Mille Ferrari -
      Hi, I've got a question for Chris. I'm in the market for speakers (a present for my bf) and I was perhaps you can help me. What exactly I am looking for is a nice, wireless pair of speakers...in other words ''all-in-one'' solution. He has his own system, but he doesn't like all the wiring and having all separate components next to the speaker. So I guess what I need is an active speaker w/DAC already implemented inside. I think they call them fully integrated? Anyway, right now I am considering the following speakers:

      - Xeo 4
      - Eclipse TD-M1

      You've mentioned Linn Exact system. Do they fall under that category as well and if they do, which models are they?

      All the best,

      Mille
    1. The Computer Audiophile's Avatar
      The Computer Audiophile -
      Quote Originally Posted by Mille Ferrari View Post
      Hi, I've got a question for Chris. I'm in the market for speakers (a present for my bf) and I was perhaps you can help me. What exactly I am looking for is a nice, wireless pair of speakers...in other words ''all-in-one'' solution. He has his own system, but he doesn't like all the wiring and having all separate components next to the speaker. So I guess what I need is an active speaker w/DAC already implemented inside. I think they call them fully integrated? Anyway, right now I am considering the following speakers:

      - Xeo 4
      - Eclipse TD-M1

      You've mentioned Linn Exact system. Do they fall under that category as well and if they do, which models are they?

      All the best,

      Mille
      Hi Millie - The Exakt system is a bit different from the Xeo system. Exakt isn't wireless and it requires an Exakt DS player combined with the Exakt speakers. Here is a link hhttp://www.linn.co.uk/systems/technology/exakt
    1. Mille Ferrari's Avatar
      Mille Ferrari -
      Hi Chris, thanks for your prompt reply. I just looked at their website and there are couple of speakers that caught my attention:

      KLIMAX 350A

      MAJIC 109

      KIKO

      It says they come with their own source, which is not a problem as long as they support Wifi/AirPlay since he usually streams music from his laptop.

      So my question is do they need seperate DAC/AMP as well? Is this something you would recommend?
    1. Mille Ferrari's Avatar
      Mille Ferrari -
      PS Right, it seems like Kiko system is the only speaker that fits the bill. Since you've already listened to both Xeo 4 and 6, how would you compare it to its predecessor?
    1. The Computer Audiophile's Avatar
      The Computer Audiophile -
      Quote Originally Posted by Mille Ferrari View Post
      PS Right, it seems like Kiko system is the only speaker that fits the bill. Since you've already listened to both Xeo 4 and 6, how would you compare it to its predecessor?
      I really like the DSP in the new Xeo models. I have them placed against a wall and in a corner right now. I just the Wall setting for the left speaker and Corner setting for the right speaker. The sound improved greatly.
    1. Mille Ferrari's Avatar
      Mille Ferrari -
      One more question. Does it come with a transmitter box already or do you have to buy Xeo Hub as well for it to play music wireless?
    1. The Computer Audiophile's Avatar
      The Computer Audiophile -
      Quote Originally Posted by Mille Ferrari View Post
      One more question. Does it come with a transmitter box already or do you have to buy Xeo Hub as well for it to play music wireless?
      Hub included.
    1. Mille Ferrari's Avatar
      Mille Ferrari -
      Thanks for clarifying that, Chris.
    1. MikeJazz's Avatar
      MikeJazz -
      Quote Originally Posted by The Computer Audiophile View Post
      Hi DRB - Don't worry I don't take anything personally :~)

      Not a single person who has visited my room has recommended room treatments. I have it dialed in very well. Fortunately I sit about nine feet from the speakers. This reduces the effect of the room.

      That said, I'd love to measure my room and try all kinds of room treatments.

      I have the Linn Exact system coming in August. This system is tuned for each listening environment.
      Hello Chris.

      I know Exact, but was unimpressed by an audition...I know Linn folks sell the idea that you can place it freely and dsp will take care....I supose is not exactly true and I urge you to also test a more conventional placement (besides linns suggestion)...

      The logic being, of course, the more optimized the placement, the less dsp will have to work or correct.
    1. stewboss's Avatar
      stewboss -
      Will the Xeo 4 sit on a desk for near field use or are they 'too powerful'?
    1. The Computer Audiophile's Avatar
      The Computer Audiophile -
      Quote Originally Posted by stewboss View Post
      Will the Xeo 4 sit on a desk for near field use or are they 'too powerful'?
      You could use stands like this and the sound should be great.

      Attachment 13760

      Dynaudio - All there is.
    1. stewboss's Avatar
      stewboss -
      Quote Originally Posted by The Computer Audiophile View Post
      You could use stands like this and the sound should be great.

      Attachment 13760

      Dynaudio - All there is.
      That's great. I have had a pair of Audience 50's for about 15 years and really like the Dynaudio sound.
    1. DRB's Avatar
      DRB -
      Quote Originally Posted by The Computer Audiophile View Post
      Hi DRB - Don't worry I don't take anything personally :~)

      Not a single person who has visited my room has recommended room treatments. I have it dialed in very well. Fortunately I sit about nine feet from the speakers. This reduces the effect of the room.

      That said, I'd love to measure my room and try all kinds of room treatments.

      I have the Linn Exact system coming in August. This system is tuned for each listening environment.
      It was just a knee-jerk observation that's all. I like your TAD's. Nice choice. :-)

      If you ever check into room treatment, the first thing to check into is low frequency absorption. It's typically the most difficult and costly and when it's done right, the rest falls into place a lot easier.
  •